Friday, October 19, 2012

Ch-ch-ch-changes

 
I don’t like change. My favorite boots are older than both my children. I’ve driven the same car for years. I don’t have an android phone. (Confession: Didn’t even know the term “android” until recently.)

I have a chat-and-text phone, an upgrade that my students teased me into getting a few years ago. They were ridiculing my go-phone and refused to consider my excuse valid. When one drops cell phones -- as often as I do, in my multitasking day -- fancy phones are a bit foolish. Totally valid excuse. Unless you’re 20 and hip and your phone is your life line.   

I kept our Netflix subscription for years. Despite the skyrocketing rates and the fact that we’re seldom in the mood to watch the movie that’s just been delivered. Why is that?
 
But times, they are a changin’. And we’ve got to change with them. Think about what’s not working in your life. Think about how it could work better. Is it feasible to switch it up? Often, the answer is “yes”. But we’re too set in our ways or fearful or just plain lazy to make the change.

Not guru girl. Last week I cancelled the Netflix subscription. Then, as if the universe delivered it to me, I got stuck at a traffic light next to a store that had recently opened. Video One. It’s an old-school, video rental store, 5 blocks from my house. The kind where you can wander the aisles and pick out exactly the kind of flick you’re in the mood for.
 
And the money I’m saving on that stupid Netflix subscription? I’m putting it towards a new phone. An android phone! Which is going to be delivered in a few weeks, and I’m pretty sure will be life-changing.

Just like the movie that I rented from Video One for tonight’s movie night with the Dynamic Duo.

“Footloose” and an i-phone. Does life get any better?

No comments:

Post a Comment