Tuesday, October 30, 2012

3 Reasons To Catch "Argo": They All Start With "B"

Today I’m singing the praises of a great American. Ben Affleck to be specific. This was my favorite line from “Argo”, the movie he’s currently starring in. “You’re a great American,” Ben’s boss tells him at one point. Ben nods humbly. I can’t remember what happened next because I was too busy swooning and elbowing my fella, who was cackling in the seat next to me. He knows how much I love Ben Affleck.

“Argo” is your gotta-see flick this weekend. Not just because there’s a 4 second shot of shirtless Ben Affleck. It’s also suspenseful, dramatic, based on a real life event and features my movie star boyfriend. Ben spends much of the movie looking involved and heroic, much as I imagine he would if he were my real life boyfriend.
“You need those leaves raked, guru girl? Sure thing,” Ben would say to me, before striking a heroic pose with the leaf blower.
“Argo” is about the real life rescue of 5 American embassy employees, who got stuck hiding out in Iran when revolutionaries took over the embassy and held their coworkers hostage. It’s up to Ben Affleck, government spy guy, to save them. He rescues the group in a positively outlandish way, made believable only by Ben’s many soulful, weight-of-the-world close ups.
The rescue is not a spoiler because this stuff actually went down in 1979, so we know it ends well. What’s admirable about this movie (besides Mr. Affleck’s pecs) is how edge-of-your-seat suspenseful it is, despite knowing the ending.
The movie must’ve had one heckuva director. Oh wait, it did. Ben Affleck directed it too. Catch “Argo” this weekend, and I guarantee you’ll want to join me as part of Ben’s fan club. Or at least quit cracking "Gigli" jokes (which we fan club members don't appreciate, TN1970.)

1 comment: