Friday, October 12, 2012

Book Recommend: Cursing Mommy's Book Of Days


My inner monologue sounds a lot like Cartman from “South Park”. I thought I was the only one. Turns out I’m not. Am in the middle of The Cursing Mommy’s Book Of Days. It’s a book that had me roaring with laughter last night.
 
Because the main character has an inner monologue similar to mine and Cartman! She gets into more misadventures than I do and is more bitter and swears a lot more. Otherwise, there are a lot of disturbing similarities between us.
Here’s the even more upsetting part: This character is written by a fella. The writer Ian Frazier to be specific. Evidently, he based this over-the-top character and book on a series of columns he wrote for The New Yorker. They were meant to satirize the life and times of modern moms and the world we live in.
Huh. My musings here on the blog are not satirical. They are honest accounts of the challenges in my daily life and tips about how you can meet these challenges better, thus avoiding some of the conundrums that have confronted me, such as our current one.
The 9 year old is participating in a talent show at our church this weekend. She wants to rap a song. This is not a problem. She is an excellent rapper. She wants to rap the song “I Got A Man” by Positive K. This is a problem. Because she’s, well, 9 and the song features lyrics such as “What am I, some crap inmate, just home from jail, sweatin’ you for a date?”

I can’t imagine this song would go over well at the talent show. So here’s my tip: I don’t care if it’s your jam. If it has wildly inappropriate lyrics, you should not repeatedly blast it on the i-pad as you dance around the kitchen and make dinner. This can have unforeseen consequences, beyond burning the chicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment