Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Bake Sale Best Seller: Owl Cupcakes


‘Tis the season of bake sales. I hate bake sales. Mostly because I hate baking. I once made chocolate chip cookies for the school bake sale, and they didn’t sell. They just sat there on the table. Not being bought. Possibly this is because they were a little flat. I have never managed to figure out the high altitude baking thing. Despite the fact that I’ve lived at high altitude for, oh, 14 years now.

But cupcakes? I’m your girl. I whip them up, using the recipe right off the back of the Pillsbury box. They are delicious and puffy, every time. But they lack some of the visual pizazz that makes a bake sale item a best seller.

So I was very excited when the newest member of our family, my cousin Tom’s wife, Jane, sent us this fabulous owl cupcake recipe. I don’t know where Jane got it, or I’d credit the source because I really think everyone should make these cupcakes, and then the mastermind behind them would get her own cooking show, which I could start watching instead of that stupid “Keeping Up With The Kardashians”, a habit which I can’t seem to k-k-k-kick.
 

In a nutshell, here’s how you make these owl cupcakes:

1.     Make your favorite cupcake.

2.    Frost with chocolate frosting.

3.    Break Oreo cookies apart. Use the piece with the frosting on it for the eyes. Use the other moon shape for the ears.

4.    Use M&Ms for the eyes and wedge a yellow one in sideways for the beak.

So cute! And so full of visual pizazz that your cupcakes will be the runaway best seller at the bake sale. You will have singlehandedly raised enough money for the school that there will be Promethean boards in every room and an organic salad bar for the cafeteria… a luxury that will then become part of the school’s vision statement, which will likely be amended to outlaw any sort of yummy treats at bake sales, such as owl cupcakes.   

No comments:

Post a Comment