Wednesday, August 28, 2013

5 Habits To Improve Your Life


 I’m back in fearing-for-humanity mode. I blame Miley Cirus’ performance at the Video Music Awards (VMAs). Her lewd dance moves seem to be monopolizing our national discourse.  

These days we’ve also got a little chemical warfare going on over in Syria, but let’s talk about how it’s the VMA performance that signals the end of humanity as we know it.  

I’m in-the-know about Syria because I’ve been researching, researching for the answers to a question I posed here on the blog a few months ago:

What is the absolute bare minimum I can do to reap reasonable benefits in the following important categories?

Read on for the answers, from assorted experts.

1.                Workouts –     According to my personal trainer, whom I see once a year to revamp my strength training routine, you must:

-          Do cardio for 30 minutes 5 days a week

-          Do strength training for 30-45 minutes 2 days a week.


2.               Yoga – According to my yogini friend Ashley, if you want reasonable peace of mind, you must:

-         Do asana yoga 4 times a week, even if it’s just for 5 minutes.

-         For maximum yoga benefits you should do yoga 15 minutes in the morning and 25 minutes before bed. And maybe hit a class or two weekly.

Did I mention Ashley is one of my overachiever friends? Am pretty sure “bare minimum” is not in her vocabulary, just like “kudalini yoga” was not in my vocabulary, until I asked Ashley for some tips.

 
Ashley says classes are the best approach for beginners. Most yoga studios offer some inexpensive or free community classes so call to check. I have so much more yoga information to share that I’m gonna have to do a follow-up post on it. Look for that next week! In the meantime, asana away for 5 minutes a day.

3.               Toothbrushing – According to Julie, my favorite dental professional, you must:

-         Brush twice a day. Weird, after-lunch-brushing sessions are not required, but here’s what is: 

-         Daily flossing. Yes, daily. You must remove the plaque or else it can migrate into your bloodstream, which can somehow lead to heart disease.

-          I think this is what Julie said. Whenever professionals talk science to me, I zone out a little bit. But I took away Julie’s big picture message, which is: Not flossing can lead to total body meltdown later in life or else very expensive dental surgery, neither of which sounds very appealing.


4.               Diet – A recent study says diets don’t work. Any diet. Ever.

If you want to stay at a reasonable weight you have to commit to a healthy diet. All the time. So quit your juice cleanse. Stop abandoning carbs, and embrace healthy eating. All the time.  

You can have occasional cheats, but they have to be occasional. Don’t forsake any of the food groups. Eat them, but mindfully, in moderation. And also never drink your calories. This is one bit of Weight Watchers wisdom that will forever be tattooed on my brain.    

5.               Current Events -- If you want to have a reasonable clue about the world, you must:

-         Listen to NPR radio several times a week.

-         Watch one Sunday morning, political talk show.

A 2012 study from Fairleigh Dickinson University showed that folks who did these things were the best informed about world events.

I tell my college students to watch BBC News as well. It is supposed to feature the most neutral reportage around. And also the best accents!

It just took me maximum time to type up this list of bare minimum requirements. Make it worth my while and adopt one of these new habits today!  

No comments:

Post a Comment