Monday, August 19, 2013

Life Wisdom From A Toast R Oven


 

Had one of those days yesterday, the kind that have you looking skyward and talking to the universe, asking if there’s a specific reason it’s kicking your a$$.

It was nothing big. Just a series of frustrating events, one right after the other. The straw that broke the camel’s back was the toast R oven. This was the task that finally led to me sitting on the stairs, crying.

I don’t believe in kitchen gadgets. So I have never owned a toast R oven. Until 3 weeks ago, when I bought one. Finally. Because the 10 year old loves the quesadillas my friend makes with her toast R oven. The 10 year old talks about them all the time. So I thought this might be a kitchen gadget I would actually use if it would produce food the 10 year old might actually eat.

So I bought it. And popped it out of the box and into the cupboard. We are in serious anti-clutter mode here at guru girl because our house is on the market. So, feeling proud of myself and my clutter busting ways, I popped the box the oven came in right into the recycling bin.

Only it turns out it wasn’t just the box that got recycled, but also all the accessories that make the toast R oven work, namely the toast R oven’s grill and tray. I was in such a rush to recycle the darn box that I missed these items nestled inside the box. And I didn’t discover the oversight until after recycling day.

Do you know how difficult it is to order a replacement grill and tray for a toast R oven?

First, you google it.

Then you write down the model number.

Then you type in the model number on the replacement part website.

Then the website tells you it’s never heard of your specific model. Despite the fact that you bought it 3 weeks ago. From Target. Not the back of some guy’s truck.

Then you call Black and Decker customer service to order the replacement parts. You listen to a very long message from the Black and Decker people whose recording tells you, at the end, they are closed on Sunday. But to check their website. The very website that knows nothing of your specific model or the accessories you seek.

Then your internet crashes, and you are this close to throwing your computer out the window and driving to the store where you will open a toast R oven box and shoplift the needed accessories.

Then you become so overwhelmed by the whole thing that you sit on the stairs and cry.

About a toast R oven. Really.

 So, why did it send me around the bend? And why do I think I’m not alone in this response?

I’m not saying this happens all the time to me -- or any of us -- but I think to many of the high-standards-having gals among us, it happens. Because we’re juggling, and we don’t like to drop stuff. But we do sometimes.

Because we’re human. Not octopuses. (Or is it octopi?) And there’s a lot of stuff to juggle. So sometimes we move faster than we should in order to keep it all in the air. And then, when stuff drops, instead of forgiving ourselves, we beat ourselves up.

Instead of it being a simple mistake, we make it a character flaw. Instead of the inner monologue sounding like, “Wow, by mistake I threw away the grill and the tray” it becomes “You are a careless flibbertyjibbet.” My worst critic wouldn’t say this about me. Why would I say it about myself?

I read a quote somewhere that I think is great and so applicable to this situation. The quote says something along the lines of “Every experience is valuable. It’s either a success or a learning opportunity.”

And it’s true. What if we viewed mistakes as learning opportunities, not failures? Because that’s what they are. I bet I’ll be pretty darn careful to check the entire box every time I buy something in the future. And maybe $29.95 is a pretty good price to pay for that kind of knowledge.

“Keep it kind” is a mantra at our house. It’s aimed at the Dynamic Duo in an effort to keep sisterly peace, but maybe I should apply it to myself, about myself, as well.

In the meantime, my fella – seeing how upset I was about the darn oven – snuck out to Target and bought me a new one. I was so moved by the gesture that it made me cry all over again.

Here’s to kindness to ourselves (and also kindness from husbands who rise to the occasion, despite never having suffered a household- appliance-induced crying session ever).
Photo credit: The new toaster oven, which was totally paid for, at Target. Guru Girl would never actually shoplift from Target or any other retail establishment. Check out the grill, tray and operating instructions stashed inside the oven. Score!

No comments:

Post a Comment