Thursday, June 14, 2012

Skinnygirl Margarita Review


Product Review: Is It Worth Your Hard-Earned Dollar?
“What is this?!” our 6 year old shrieked upon downing a glass of the "light" lemonade that I’d tried to fob off as the real thing. This was my same reaction upon downing a glass of Skinnygirl Margarita a few weeks ago. (available at amazon.com, around $15). I bought it. Because I’m a product junkie and I admire Bethenny’s bravado, if not her choice in bikinis. (Is it really seemly for a 40 something mother to rock a bikini quite that teeny?)

I’m happy to have my $14.99 go into the pocket of the pull-herself-up-by-her-bootstraps kind of gal that Bethenny appears to be. And yet…

There’s definitely something missing. Something beyond the sugar. Just like today’s boy bands can’t compare to Duran Duran, Skinnygirl Margarita can’t compare with the real thing. It doesn’t have the hair, the smoldering eyes, the smoking guitar riffs. Sorry, distracted by John Taylor fantasy for a minute.

Back to the drink… there are advantages, of course. I downed several glasses and didn’t take my top off and dance on my friend Heather’s table.  That’s a big change from the margarita-influenced choices I would have made back in college. So was my calm quaffing, the margarita talking or the fact that guru girl is finally a mature adult? It’s tough to say. Kind of like nature versus nurture. The eternal question. Don’t have an answer to this one. Do have an answer to: “Is Skinnygirl Margarita worth a try?”

If you’re dieting as hard as Duran Duran rocked back in the day, the answer is “yes”. It’s only 110 calories per serving. If you have to volunteer at your kiddo’s school in the morning and don’t want to risk any table-dancing -- and the resulting puffy eyes and chagrin that yes, as a parent, you’re still doing this stuff -- the answer is “yes”.

If you’re just looking to save a few calories, the answer is “no”. Margaritas are indulgences. So indulge. Just make sure to wear flats. They leave fewer dings on the bar.

No comments:

Post a Comment