Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Fantasies & Vacuums & Vacuum Fantasies

I’m not having fantasies about grey, silk ties. This, despite having read 50 Shades in record time -- while my favorite fella was on a business trip -- so that he wouldn’t make fun of my heavy breathing.

 No, I am lusting after Rosie the Robot from “The Jetsons”. I would like her to come live at my house. There is currently a commercial playing in heavy rotation that offers the next-best-thing: the Roomba 560, a little box that zips around your house vacuuming all the live long day. It’s not Rosie, but it’s worth considering.

 I am skeptical, sure. But I am also a sucker for those infomercials and basically any product that wears an “as advertised on t.v.” sticker. I might be the only one in America who purchased a “Bump It” and wore it – I’m not proud to say – on special occasions. For an entire year. I say I have caring friends and family, but I might need to rethink that. Not one of them discouraged me!

 So it might be up to you, virtual strangers, to save me from myself. You might need to start a petition begging me not to buy this item and inflict it on my family. The Roomba 560’s downside could be significant. I can see it eating the dog’s tail, and really, how will it not get hopelessly mired in the pile of shoes at our back door? I don’t know.

 In the infomercial there are never any shoes or furry dog tails, but there’s also never any dirt. And this could be the Roomba’s biggest selling point: a house free of dirt. Every day. Not just the hour after the cleaning lady has left, and you threaten your family with exile if they so much as hint at having lunch at home.

Close your eyes, ladies. Imagine the future with me: a house free of dirt. Maybe our collective energy can dispel the negativity of my favorite fella who says, “Why not just put $350 on a shelf? ‘Cause that’s where your Roomba's gonna sit when it doesn’t work right.”

 Don’t be a hater like my favorite fella. Join me on the side of artificial intelligence and capitalism. Go down to Bed, Bath & Beyond and get yourself a little Roomba action.  http://www.amazon.com/iRobot-560-Roomba-Vacuuming-Silver/dp/B000UUBCNO

No comments:

Post a Comment