Monday, June 11, 2012

Gone Girl: Book Recommendation


Hot Off The Presses & Hollywood: Book & Movie Recommends

I like my literary fiction like my friend Dianne likes her gin & tonics: to go down smooth. A little substance is good. A humdinger of a plot? Even better. Long-winded passages about setting? Not so much.

If your reading tastes are like mine, have I got a page-turner for you… “Gone Girl” by Gillian Flynn (available at amazon.com, around $14). I stayed up until 10:42 (!) last night reading it. That’s saying a lot since I’m usually listening to the snores of my favorite fella and our ding-dong of a dog by 9:42.

“Gone Girl” is about a young, married couple that’s hit a rough patch -- a patch that makes Charlie Sheen’s domestic life look positively tranquil -- once the wife goes missing. Did the husband do it? Did the wife just disappear? If so, why? How? These questions kept me guessing all night… as well as other questions, like… what exactly did Ding Dong Dog eat to make him smell so bad?!

It’s the perfect summer read. Substance and theme? Check. Page turning? Check. Make you feel better about having read nothing but the entire “50 Shades” trilogy this spring? Check.     

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like my kind of summer read. Thx for the tip - definitely loading
    it to the kindle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great read! I hope you like it.

      Delete
    2. I will take any book recommendation!!! I am desperate for good reading material -- Thanks!
      Marla : )

      Delete