Monday, September 24, 2012

For A Good Time, Call... : Excellent Movie


 
Nikki and I have a good mother-daughter relationship. We spar. We spat. We offer unsolicited advice on hair styles, decorating choices and child & dog rearing. We generally know our boundaries and have code words if one of us is tiptoeing over the line. I’ve been known to shout “Back off North Korea” at her upon occasion. I don’t know if Nikki knows this is my code phrase for “boundary violation” but it is. It makes me feel better to say it, and it usually startles her into silence. Probably because she’s wondering if her daughter has Political Tourette’s Syndrome.

One of my hard limits concerns entertainment featuring sex. I simply can’t discuss it with my mother. We both read the 50 Shades trilogy. Nikki fired off a conversational gambit about it with me, and I North-Korea’d her immediately. Nope, not discussing the red room of pain with my mother.

So it might seem odd that I took my mom to see the indie comedy “For A Good Time, Call…” last week. And it might seem odder still that we both loved it. This movie was written and directed by Seth Rogan’s wife, Lauren Anne Miller. She also stars in the movie as a 20-something forced to move in with Katie, an arch enemy from college. They’re both broke and decide to open a phone sex hotline in order to make rent. They end up making rent and a really great friendship too.

It’s a total “feel good” movie. There’s raunchy content of course and some words that I’m pretty sure neither my mom nor I knew. But that’s what the “urban slang” dictionary is for! At its heart the movie’s about how in our 20s we pine for a romantic relationship with a fella, but it’s the friendships we have with our girlfriends that are the relationships that really sustain us.

And it’s the relationship with our mothers that keep us on our toes! To shake yours up, go see or rent this movie with your own mother. Or quiz her to see how she would define different phrases from the urban slang dictionary. For instance, see if she knows what “gotcha girl” means and then watch her face when you tell her.(Click this link for the definition.) It might be even funnier than “For A Good Time, Call…”  

No comments:

Post a Comment