Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Dumpster Diving: Family Bonding At Its Best


 The Dynamic Duo experienced a first this weekend when they went on their very first dumpster diving mission. The 6 year old didn’t understand the concept and kept saying, “But I don’t want to steal a car with you guys.” How she got “steal a car” out of “liberate a credenza” I’ll never know. But she was excellent in the getaway car. Kept a good watch and a tight lip. Although the latter could have been from the lollipop we bribed her with.

I have loved dumpster diving ever since I lived in Boston as a grad student and experienced the bounty of goods departing college students leave in city alleys every May. Over the years I’ve scored a brass headboard, a leather chair and now a fab console. I’ve never actually jumped into a dumpster, but I’m game for a good alley-scrounge any day.

Our weekend mission netted us this outstanding console that will look fantastic when spruced up with a coat of bright orange paint. I love spray paint only slightly more than bark chips and my fella. In that order.

Spray paint is cheap, easy and it hides a multitude of sins. Kind of like spray tans. Plus you get to feel kind of dangerous when you buy it because they keep it locked up at the hardware store so you have to request the case be opened for you. Mental note: Dress like your very perkiest, home improving self on the day you buy spray paint and leave the gang colors at home or the hardware store guy might not sell to you.

The next time you’re at a garage sale/estate sale/walking down your alley keep the virtues of spray paint in mind. If a piece of furniture has good bones, nab it. Spray paint fixes an old, banged around piece right up, kind of like the spray tan does for me every June and also for Marie Osmond when she did “Dancing With The Stars” that season. If it’s good enough for me and Marie, you gotta give it a try.  
 
A Crate & Barrel console similar to the one we found. This baby won't require sanding and spray painting but it does require a whole lot of pennies ($1,499 to be exact).
 

7 comments:

  1. Dumpster diving has netted my fiance thousands of dollars over the years thanks to eBay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right on! I don't know how to eBay but if I did, I'd be putting stuff on it all the time. Okay, full disclosure: most of your brother's stuff...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His stuff isn't worth THAT much now, is it? He must have gotten better stuff along the way....although the frogs might be worth something.

      Delete
    2. Those frogs are killing me and the legos and the baseball trophies. I guess it would be bad form to try to sell a spouse's trophies.

      Delete
    3. The frogs are awesome!!!!! And no, I don't want them. The great Danes would decide they are a snack (especially Scarlett who is nicknamed goat).

      Delete
  3. Our 6 year old must have thought 'Credenza' was the new Cadillac model coming out this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a lot hotter than the Escalade. The Credenza model. Nice.

      Delete