Monday, September 17, 2012

4 Fashion Faux Pas For Fellas



 
Every quarter I hand out “getting to know you” questionnaires to my college students. It’s typical stuff – where are you from, favorite hobbies etc. If I were completely honest on my own questionnaire, I’d have to list people watching at the airport as one of my favorite hobbies.

 
I love people watching at the airport, and it’s a good thing because I got a good chance to do it yesterday. Specifically all day yesterday when our flight got cancelled, and my fella and I got to spend some quality airport time.

 
I know guys in their 30s and 40s can be sartorially challenged. I know they might not care about fashion or style. This is no excuse. If you leave the house, you are inflicting your fashion on other people. Read on for a quick guide of what to strike from your closet forever.


1.     Shower shoes – Anything striped and plastic is a non-starter. They’re called shower shoes for a reason. You wear them in the shower, not at the terminal for Frontier Airlines.

 

2.    Embellished jeans – News flash: you’re not all up in the club. You’re up in the customer service representative’s face, trying to sweet talk her into letting you fly stand by. If she thinks you’re a club kid trying to make the mile high club in her aircraft it’s not going to help your case.

 
If the back pockets of your jeans have more frosting on them than your kid’s last birthday cake, that’s a problem. There’s a solution for that. They’re called Tommy Bahama jeans, and your wife will thank me if you get a pair.  


3.    Ed Hardy T-shirts – You cannot wear these unless you’ve got a steel horse in the driveway and a sleeve of tattoos… because this is what the Ed Hardy t-shirt suggests when you wear it.


Ed Hardys make guys look like posers. Rock your (non-logo-ed, with collar) shirt with pride. And leave the posing to those fools who think they’re closer to winning the “flying standby” lottery the closer they inch to the jetway.


4.    Jewelry – Any jewelry.

 “What about watches?” says my guy.

Fine.

 “What about wedding rings?”

 Fine.

 “What about those Lance Armstrong plastic bracelets?”

 Fine.

 “What about…”

I had to cut my guy off because he was being almost as annoying as my fellow stand-by passengers.
 
So I didn’t win the flying standby lottery yesterday. But I did win a few other things that I like a lot:

 - an extra night of vacation, courtesy of United Airlines

 - room service, courtesy of United Airlines

 - the privilege of picking the movies my fella and I watch for the next month because I let my guy pick the movie to watch in the hotel last night and he picked “Rock Of Ages” and it was terrible, almost as terrible as the fashion choices of the flying public these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment