Tuesday, July 30, 2013

The Quickie Guide To Tomato Growing: EarthBox 'Em


I am doing something wrong with the tomatoes.

 
This is what mine look like.
 

 

This is what my friend Becky’s look like.
 

 

Becky has a tomato bonanza. She has caprese salad coming out her ears. Me? Clearly not.

I blame it on the raw materials. Home Depot is good for many things (a lunch time hotdog, a cute contractor oogle), but for tomato growing gear, it is to be avoided. 

Instead, go Becky’s route and get yourself an EarthBox Garden Kit from your local garden center or online. (Click this link to go to amazon.com where you can purchase an EarthBox for around $52.) Becky swears this little gizmo is responsible for her bumper crop.
 
I am too bitter to purchase an EarthBox this year, but next year I’m all over it. And I’ll also be buying llama poop from my friend who raises them. Previously, I had ridiculed her for selling such an odd product, but I now see the rationale.

For now, I’ll continue to suffer through Whole Foods, and -- even worse -- the farmer’s market for fresh tomatoes. But next year I’m saying goodbye to these enterprises and the stress they bring. (Why so many dogs at the farmer’s market? And why are there no orderly lines? It is total, barking mayhem.)

Next year I am bringing caprese salad to every social gathering to which I am invited, and maybe even a few to which I am not. That’s how many tomatoes I plan on growing.

If you are not quite as black thumb-ish as guru girl then happy gardening! But if you are, here’s to happy gardening next year, guru girls & guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment