Sunday, July 7, 2013

Enrich The Swear Jar: Make A Duct Tape Garland


What’s not to love about a festive, summer garland? Especially one that’s made from duct tape, something we have in plentiful supply around here.

So when I read about this great and easy-to-do craft, I was in!

I pilfered 3 rolls of the 10 year old’s duct tape, and I got busy.
 

The magazine said it was easy.

1.      Cut piece of rope to desired length.

 

2.    Drape a long piece of duct tape over the rope so the tape’s ends meet up. Snip a “v” into the end so the section hangs in an attractive point.

 

3.    Repeat with alternating duct tape colors until your garland is done.

 

Like many things in life (break ups, child birth, living carb free), these directions are easier said than done.

For one thing, duct tape is very sticky. So when you drape it over itself onto the rope, the tape sticks together in irritating clumps that are impossible to smooth out because they’re so darn sticky.

And it’s not like you suffer through this process just once. Instead, you must repeat it for every single point you make for the garland (which is typically 10). Basically, it’s Greek Crafting 101, and you’re Sisyphus.
 

I gave up after making 3 points. My failure was partly due to the fact that my 10 year old photographer was laughing so hard that her pictures were blurry. But the failure was mostly due to my skyrocketing frustration with duct tape that refuses to lie and craft magazine editors who do nothing but lie.

Easy project, my a$$, lying magazine editors. This project did not put me in a festive or patriotic spirit at all. Tune in later this week to see what did!

No comments:

Post a Comment