Thursday, May 30, 2013

The Secret To A Gorgeous Garden In Under 30 Minutes


“I refuse to dead head,” says my friend Becky. This is a sound policy and one I wish I’d adopted back in high school. I was never a Dead Head myself. My love affair with makeup and hair products precluded that, but I did date a few fellas who could accurately be described as such. 

I learned the hard way that the Dead Head from afar is lots more romantic than the Dead Head up close. If one prefers the scent of, say, soap to patchouli. This sentiment (dead head = bad news) can be applied to gardening as well... which is what Becky means when she says she won’t dead head.

Flower maintenance is so much less fun than flower planting. But beautiful blossoms in your garden are such a day brightener. What’s a dead-head-refusing-but-blossom-loving girl to do?

Plant impatiens of course, says Becky. They give you bountiful flowering beauty without the bountiful back ache from having to dead head the darn things.

Becky says plant a whole passel of them in one color and watch your yard light up like a Dead Head at a concert. Well, not like that exactly. Your yard will light up with color and beauty, not weed and LSD.

Full disclosure: actually the only part of this that Becky said is the first part, “Plant impatiens”. The rest is just guru girl editorializing. Am stopping now and zipping over to Home Depot to get me some impatiens and maybe a hot dog for lunch!  

No comments:

Post a Comment