Monday, May 27, 2013

A Fashionable Apology

 

Sometimes guru girl is as misguided as some of Kim Kardashian’s outfit choices. Apparently last week’s “What Not To Wear” post was one of these times. Because holy cow did I hear about it from many of you.

 
So, in the spirit of embracing the constructive criticism offered to me -- and by this I mean, shouted at me by various friends --  I offer a mea culpa for some of my recommendations.

Reader Complaint #1: Guru Girl said you should buy 4 “go to” outfits this summer instead of 8.

4 outfits is far too few, according to many of you.

What about women with professional jobs where they can’t sport cargo pants?

What about women who like to shop and are good at finding bargains?

These are good points that I hadn’t considered.

You, dear readers, are correct: relying on just 4 outfits a season is crazy, unless you’re one of those Civil War re-enactors who live like it’s 1862. And even those nut jobs only do this on the weekends.
 
Go ahead and live like it’s 2013, a time when most of us have dozens of outfits. Not 4. But make sure that at least 4 of your “in rotation” outfits are fabulous and not comprised solely of items from Target, which brings me to…

Reader Complaint #2: Guru Girl said you should never buy clothes from Target. Ever.

It’s true. I said this. Many of you cried foul. Target is a stellar place for kid clothes, workout clothes, t-shirts and jeans, you said. It is the only place many multitasking moms really can shop for clothes because taking a toddler to a chic boutique is a recipe for a migraine, not a cute maxi-dress.

Additionally, these friends swear to me the aforementioned items don’t shrink up faster than shrinky dinks in the oven. If this is true, Target is a totally valid option for all of the above.

I stand corrected. I must’ve been drinking the High Fashion Kool Aid when making that first recommendation. 

I do, however, stand by my initial recommendation that giant florals are a train wreck. On everyone. And matching gloves?

Even worse. Like some of the advice guru girl gives. Meant well but totally off-the-mark. Take it with a grain of salt. Or maybe a lot of grains, around the rim of a margarita!

Happy Memorial Day, guru girls & guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment