Sunday, May 12, 2013

How To Get High Style, For Less: "Get This" App


Some women just have style. It’s not in the amount they spend on clothes or where they purchase them. It’s how they put them together and wear them. If you know one of these women in real life and are bold and inquisitive like guru girl you can question them. As I do.

 
Personally, when such questions are directed at me, I find them flattering, not rudely invasive. In fact, there has only been one time when I’ve turned down a “share the source” inquiry.

 
And it wasn’t a friend asking me where I’d scored that fabulous sweater. It was a gal who asked if I’d consider donating an egg to a friend of a friend of a friend who was ready to embark on parenthood.

 
I was taken aback but ultimately flattered by the inquiry. Because it made me feel like I was the owner of a very in-demand item, like a Birkin bag.


So I never have a problem asking someone where she likes to shop. It’s when the gal tells me her favorite stores and they turn out to be my favorite stores too, this is when the problem occurs. This happened recently when my newish friend Ann confided that she often shops the Anthropologie sales rack.
 

So do I.

 
However, my sales rack outfit results look nothing like Ann’s outfit results. Ann’s outfits make her look bohemian and carefree and French. My outfits make me look like the bohemian, carefree, French woman’s maid who pilfered random items from a stylish closet on the sly.


So I was excited to read about a new app that lets you pilfer someone else’s style in a way that’s totally legit. It’s called “Get This”, and it’s a free app that allows you to buy clothes that your favorite television stars are wearing on the television, at this moment, right in front of you.

 
You can buy the exact outfit combinations. With the click of a button or two! The site connects you to the exact labels Miss T.V. Star is wearing. And if these are too spendy, it also gives you all the info for how to get the same look for less, i.e. more affordable options.

 
The bad news is there are only 2 shows right now that are linked to this app. Those are “Scandal”, which stars Kerry Washington as a powerful politico, and “The Carrie Diaries”, which stars a bunch of stylish teeny boppers. The outfits favored by powerful politicos and trendy teens aren’t really the ones I’m after myself, so I’m not incredibly psyched about this app.

 
Yet.

 
But I’m probably gonna be in July, which is when “Get This” is going to add a bunch of new shows to the roster. And then, don’t bother calling me during primetime. I’ll be too busy viewing and shopping and viewing and shopping. I will not be answering the calls of my friends. But I will be answering the call of fashion!(Click this link to go to "Get This" for more information.)

No comments:

Post a Comment