Friday, April 5, 2013

Craigslist Tips: The Sequel


Don't let your burkini lay around, collecting dust. Sell it on Craigslist!
 
I’m supposed to be writing a blog post, but I got distracted by the latest edition of “People” magazine, which was just begging me to read it. There are questions that need answering.

How is Princess Kate doing with her pregnancy?

Did Christina Aguilera really lose a bunch of weight or is it a styling trick?

Is Miley Cyrus still engaged?

The answers are: fine, it’s a styling trick and yes.

I wouldn’t know that if I hadn’t taken the time to read the entire issue just now. Because my friends are hopeless. They are a busy, high-achieving bunch, but not in the field of celebrity dirt. But perhaps I shouldn’t complain, as perhaps this is exactly why they are friends with me.

I am an expert in celebrity dirt (with sideline expertise in parenting mishaps). And I share my information freely… kind of like my friends who are experts in Craigslist. These friends recently gave me such a plethora of Craigslist information I had to break it into two parts. Here is Craigslist Part II.

Craigslist Tips If You’re Selling

1.      You can get rid of almost anything on Craigslist. People will buy stuff you thought you had to call 1-800-GOT-JUNK to get rid of. I have actually paid money to this outfit to take away weird stuff from our basement. Grrr… why didn’t I just Craigslist it all?

My friends brag that they even sold a bunch of paving stones from their garden. The buyers not only bought the pavers, they dug them out of the garden themselves. Clearly, my friends’ Craigslist ju ju is strong. I am a beginner and can’t hope for such success, but if someone – anyone – would buy the cost-the-earth, blinged-out tricycle that’s been sitting in our basement for 3 years, I would be psyched.

2.    Don’t offer an item for free. Charge at least $5 so you get queries from qualified buyers. If you offer an item for free, the Craigslist crazies come out. You will get way too many e-mails. And these aren’t even serious buyers. Just people who like free stuff and have a lot of time on their hands to e-mail. (This descriptor also applies to me, but I’m sure Craigslist crazies are far less charming.)

3.    Provide a picture with the item you’re selling. Visuals sell, baby. And also babies and breasts, according to Advertising 101… which brings us to our next point, which is:


4.    You don’t need breasts to sell on Craigslist, but it helps. Apparently, female sellers get a far greater response rate than male sellers. This is according to the personal experience of my friends who are married to each other. When it’s the wife selling the item, the response rate is greater. So if you’re coupled up, the one of you with lady parts should be listed as the seller.

 
5.      And lastly, if you have a difficult-to-pronounce name, pull a Prince and change it for your listing. On Craiglist people respond better to generic names, i.e. Bambie is better than Bartholemew.

In sum, Craigslist users like photos, women and easy-to-pronounce names. These also seem to be the guiding principles behind men’s magazines. (A handy pneumonic device to help you remember these Craigslist tips.)

Happy selling, guru girls & guys!    

No comments:

Post a Comment