Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Clutter Bust & Make Some Bank: Craigslist For Dummies


Guru Girl is on a high tech roll. Not only have I figured out Twitter and Snapfish, I am going to tackle Craigslist.

Confession: I have always thought Craigslist was the territory of “massage” seeking murders. Because a few years ago I read about a Boston guy who was using Craigslist to do these very things! But friends tell me I’ve been too quick to write Craigslist off. There are lots of users with neither “massage” nor murder on their minds.

Craigslist is basically an online garage sale.(Click this link to visit craigslist.) If you’re looking to, say, buy a toaster or sell a toaster, Craigslist is the place. Here’s why, according to my friends, who are Craigslist gurus.

1.      You’ll get a good deal.

2.    You’ll unclutter your house and make some cash.

3.    You’ll meet interesting people.

4.    You’ll help save the environment. Because why buy a new toaster when you can get a perfectly good, old one?


I trust these friends, who are still married to each other, despite their many Craigslist adventures, which have netted them items ranging from an electric guitar to a hot tub to a boat!

Here are their tips for using Craigslist if you’re buying:

1.      When viewing an item, go with somebody (in case you run into a seller who is creepy). Also, if you’re buying something you don’t know much about (like a guitar), bring along an expert friend. 

2.    You always pay in cash so remember to hit the ATM .


3.    Bargain. Don’t just pay what they’re asking. Give the seller a price. Say something like, “I’ll give you $500 for it.”

4.    Be patient. It might take 3 or 4 weeks to find the perfect hot tub. It’s worth it. Don’t just jump on the first hot tub being offered by the lady with Eczema. Because Craigslist should empower the consumer, not gross him or her out.

 
5.     Look at it as an adventure. You’ll visit places and meet people you’d ordinarily never come across. And the overwhelming majority of sellers are nice people who won’t rip you off or murder you.

Tune in for my next post for tips on using Craigslist if you’re selling, so you can clutter bust, make some bank and save the planet at the same time!
Photo: Ship lady from my own fabulous attic. Don't worry, Mom, I'm not planning to sell this family heirloom on Craigslist. Just all your jewelry.

4 comments:

  1. This is a good primer on CraigsList. I have some people, I mean relatives, who should read this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right on! I almost can't wait to do some spring cleaning (i.e. throwing stuff out of my fella's closet) so I can try it out too!

      Delete
  2. You think I could get rid of my old Speedos on Craigslist? Maybe pick up a few new ones as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm putting the orange toothbrush you forgot at the cabin on Craigslist right now. Feel sure I'll get a good bid on it!

      Delete