Saturday, November 3, 2012

Epic Vacation Idea: Family Camp



The good news is I didn't fall off the horse as I took this pic. The bad news is I came this close. It turns out when the wranglers say you should hold on to your saddlehorn and not mess with your camera, they are serious.

This was the only bad part of family camp. Recently, we went for a weekend, and I could have stayed for a week. The YMCA has family camps all across the country. The digs aren't blingy but they include your own bedroom, bathroom and heat -- we're talking 4 Seasons luxury compared to camping.

Consider family camp for your next giant family gathering. It's like a cruise without the seasickness and bad Hawaiian shirts. It's great for families because it offers everything -- an inside pool, a crafts barn that makes my little mod podge lovin' heart sing, nature hikes, classes in yoga and archery, frisbee golf, fishing, campfires and a rollerskating rink complete with disco ball and a soundtrack of '70s funk.

In Colorado, family camp is open year round, holidays too! Imagine your next Christmas gathering with the extended clan and no cooking or dishes, the whole vacation. They have this little thing called a cafeteria where the food is actually good, and better yet, not prepared by you!

This is a winning combination, unlike me, my Nikon and my YMCA camp horse, who was aptly named Lightning.

No comments:

Post a Comment