Friday, May 8, 2015

1 Meaningful & Memorable Mother's Day Gift


This morning a television ad featured a perky woman who chirped,
“DIY is in our DNA.”

DIY does not appear to be in my DNA. I am currently in the middle of a home improvement project, and I am not at all chirpy. What I am is irritable, fearful and light-headed from 5 days of fumes.

I decided to refinish the kitchen table. I made this decision last year and foolishly announced it to the guru crew. The 12 year old has asked me about this project every week for a year. Clearly, she doesn’t know my decorating project method:

1.      I announce.
2.    I plan.
3.    I procrastinate.
4.    I do a half-ass job.
5.     I delegate the rest to Guru Guy.

Am currently ramping up to Step 5. Success is likely because – hello! – it’s Mother’s Day Weekend, and nothing says “Happy Mother’s Day” like resuscitating furniture your wife has destroyed with “improvement”.

So Guru Guy won’t be making a last-minute run to the mall for Mother’s Day gifts. And you don’t need to either! Even if you’ve forgotten a gift and you’re fearful of the drama you’ll face from your Baby Mama, if you have kids and a pencil you’re all set.

Have the youngest kiddo draw a picture of the family. Bonus points if it includes speech bubbles for all family members filled with their catch phrases.
Pick a really ornate frame for this simple drawing and voila! a meaningful memento for under $5. 

If you really want to make Mom melt, play the “I’m Thinking Of A Time When…” game at dinner but have it focus on favorite memories you’ve shared with mom. Waterworks (and hugs) guaranteed.


Have a great weekend, guru girls & guys! 

No comments:

Post a Comment