Monday, May 18, 2015

Why DIY Should RIP At My House


There are a few things you do once in your life.
Refinish a table. Master cleanse. Garage sale.

And then you learn.

The good news is I never have to do a furniture project or garage sale ever again. It’s too bad in a way. Because my sales team was top notch this weekend.
The 9 year old was almost too good a sign spinner. Hopefully her skills in this area won’t encourage her to forego college.


Stanley also fulfilled his duty to lure people in by looking cute (and not biting them).

My DIY furniture team was less talented. Mostly because it consisted only of me and my dad, who offered cryptic advice via text.

I have learned my lesson, and I am trying to remember the mantra, “There is no such thing as failure. It’s either a success or a learning experience.”

Here’s what I learned from the DIY Debacle:

1.      Google expert advice.
2.    Do it before you’re in the middle of the project and have already screwed it up.
3.    Google multiple sources.
4.    Read all of them.

My refinishing project was a bit of a bust, but my next DIYer will not be. Because, for once, I am taking my own advice.

My next project is going to be a giant magnetized wall so the 9 year old can display artwork in her room.

I have, of course, already bought the magnetized chalkboard paint. Last year.

But I’ve now searched multiple sites that say magnetized chalkboard paint looks cool but is not, in fact, strong enough to hold up anything by magnet.

So if this is your goal, stay away from magnetized chalkboard paint. Instead get a giant galvanized steel sheet from the hardware store. Make sure to test that it’s magnetized. And then you can paint it any color you like (this won’t interfere with its magnetic surface). 

Finish by putting picture hangers on the back so you can pop it on the wall. (You can get a sheet that’s 12 x 24” from Home Depot for $12. Jo Ann Fabric has them too.)

This is the route I’ll be taking. In about 8 months. When I finally tackle this project, having forgotten the frustration of the last two weeks.


Because I don’t know about you, but DIY is in my DNA. 
Or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment