Thursday, June 5, 2014

3 Gotta Get Baby Gifts



I have nothing against diaper cakes, the baby shower standby. But, as you know, I have a thing about spending money on necessities. I believe if an item isn’t fun to buy, it should be free. And diapers definitely fall into this category.

This irrational belief system of mine makes household budget discussions excruciating for my fella, but it also means if you’re a mama-to-be you’re never going to receive something as utilitarian as a diaper cake from me.

I will, however, spend exorbitant amounts on cutesy items. Like wine charms and pig-shaped corn-on-the-cob holders. Is it a spendy item that I’ll use once and then lose forever in the junk drawer? I’m in.

It’s a problem.

But awareness of a problem is the first step to conquering it. So I now confine myself to purchasing cute-but-unnecessary items as gifts for friends.
It fulfills my weird, shopping impulse and kickstarts good times at the party.

So I was very excited when I opened the catalog to Papersource, my favorite knick-knack store. It had not 1 but 3 absolutely adorable, absolutely unnecessary items for a baby. The following, as pictured above:

 -- Baby Glasses for $14.95.
-- Baby Bandana Bib for $22.95
-- Stachifier mustache pacifier for $9.95


Get all 3 and your friend will have one tricked out, hipster baby. And that’s really what she’s going to need. And also maybe a newborn who readily sleeps and breastfeeds and is easily entertained by stuff like ceiling fans.

Since she’s probably not going to get a baby who does all that stuff (like the Yeti, they don’t exist), the least you could do is get the hipster stuff. This way motherhood will fulfill some of her fantasies. The cute accessories ones.

Clearly, I’m joking when I say that because motherhood is a pretty rocking gig, even when it doesn’t feature life necessities like sleep.

It does feature a little person you can dress up any way you like. Even in mink coats in June. 
                                        Me, many moons ago, at my own baby shower where I received many favored, dress up items.

Even when that little person becomes a big person, who is heading off to middle school in August. A fact that puts a big, old lump in your throat and your heart. Which your little person knows. 


Which is why she still lets you dress her up in mink coats in June. They just don't fit quite as well anymore.  

No comments:

Post a Comment