Friday, March 7, 2014

St. Patrick's Day Dessert To Wow Friends & Family


Every year in March I get the same request from the 10 year old as she plans her birthday celebration: “Mommy, will you make your famous cupcakes?”
And every year I magnanimously nod my head, before I dash out to the store to get the Pillsbury cake mix I use to make "my" famous cupcakes.

I may not be a creative baker, but I am a creative presenter. Here are "my" famous cupcakes that we recently made for literacy night at the elementary school. We chose to depict the childhood classic “Aliens Love Underpants”.



We did not win. Which was a disappointment.

But not as big a disappointment as the birthday treats I made for the 3rd graders a few years ago. They had a class snake named Montie, whom they loved. Naturally, the 10 year old decided her birthday treats should be rice krispie treats shaped like mini Montie’s.

So we made them. And we shaped them. And they certainly resembled something. Though not exactly the class pet.



I didn’t mention this to my child and hoped against hope that none of the 3rd grade boys would bring it up. Which they didn’t.

Yet more proof the universe is not always brutish.

So there are a few “misses” in the baking column. But I’m feeling energized and ready to tackle a new cooking project for the birthday this month.

I just read about the rainbow cake. Which I think sounds fantastic, partly because it features my old standby – Pillsbury cake mix!

So I’m going to give it a go. Let’s be clear that “give it a go” means I shall be baking no less than 6 cakes, people. And going a little nuts with the food coloring.

You should try it too. For St. Patrick’s Day! Stage your rainbow cake with a little leprechaun figurine next to it. Cute and easy. Like Miley Cyrus. Allegedly.

Rainbow Cake Directions:

1.      Get yourself 2 boxes of white cake mix. Make up your batter and divide into 6 bowls.
2.    Add food coloring to get the different rainbow colors.
3.    Buy 6 disposable cake pans and line them with parchment paper.
4.    Pour batter evenly into the pans.
5.     Bake it up! But bake 5 to 10 minutes less than the cake package instructions tell you since the layers are pretty thin.
6.    Cool, stack and frost.
7.     Decorate with Skittles!
8.    Stage with your leprechaun figurine next to it. Get it, leprechaun at the end of the rainbow? (Don’t worry. Miley probably didn’t get it either.)  


Happy baking guru girls & guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment