Friday, March 14, 2014

St. Patrick's Day Rainbow Cake: The Truth Revealed


So I still stand by the St. Patrick’s Day Rainbow Cake that I recommended in the previous post. But I have to make a few clarifications.

Hopefully, this will not be as embarrassing as in college when I had to go to the registrar and clarify my reason for withdrawing from the class I’d signed up for: “Uses Of War”.

This class was a foolish waste of an elective for a liberal arts major like me. It also covered lots of gruesome war-related things and featured no cute boys, which was the whole reason I signed up for it in the first place.

I discovered all these things after attending the first class meeting. It was unfortunate. As was my meeting with the registrar, who forced me to explain it all. There is nothing that sobers you up faster than having to verbalize your flibberty gibbet ways to an authority figure.  

And I am happy to say that I took the rest of my college career very seriously, keeping academics at the forefront of my mind and boys at the very, very back of it.

Mostly.

Sometimes, in life, reality includes some unhappy truths. I’m not saying that’s the case with this fine Rainbow Cake. But I am saying it is different than advertised.

Now that I’ve made it, I know. Here’s what you should know too, before embarking on the Rainbow Cake:

1.      This is not a fast cake to make. There are lots of steps. Allocate plenty of time. Don’t get distracted. Or leave the cake alone in the same room as the dog.

2.    Do not skip the parchment paper step. I am always tempted to skip steps like these that feature extraneous products. Don’t give in to the temptation.

Line each of your pans with parchment paper that you’ve cut to fit the shape. This makes dumping the baked cake out of the pan an absolute snap, which is important because you’ll be doing it 4 times!

3.    You’re going to be cleaning up. A lot. Multiply the clean up factor of making one cake by 4. Because you’re making 4 mini cakes so that means 4 bowls, 4 spoons, 4 pans. 4 times the amount of cleaning, people! Clearly, I could have been a math major in college.

4.    Buy extra frosting. One frosting can doesn’t cut it. Because this isn’t just a cake. It’s a creation. A creation that is tall and starts to lean like the Tower Of Pisa if you don’t have enough frosting to stabilize the layers. Or if, like me, you try to make do with only one frosting can because you’ve already done a last minute trip to the grocery store to get the parchment paper you initially forgot and you simply refuse to go again.   

5.     Go with 4 layers, not 6. The initial recipe calls for 6 layers. I think you get the same effect with 4.


The cake was a little trickier to make than I initially thought, but I’m glad I did it. I think the now-11 year old is gonna be psyched when she digs into it tonight at the family birthday bash.


Happy baking guru girls & guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment