Tuesday, December 25, 2012

In Defense Of Holiday Cards


I love holiday cards. There are some naysayers out there who claim they’re too much work and people don’t really read them and/or care. I am here to tell you that I both read them and care. I save the cards we get all season in a cute, holiday basket.

I love seeing which fashionable card my friend Tanisha has picked for the year. I love reading to see if my friend Dianne has included a blurb about our hiking trip in hers (she did this year!), and I love seeing how big everyone’s kids have grown. I also really like hiding the name, showing the kid pix to my fella and making him guess who they are. He is really bad at this game, although he’s improved a lot since all of our friends’ kids were babies. My fella thinks all babies look alike. Kind of like starlets.

So send your holiday card out this year. Even though Christmas is, um, today. I myself have a big, old stack of our holiday letter sitting right in front of me. I am hoping to get it out by New Year’s. I don’t mind when people send late holiday cards. I might even like them a little better because it shows a procrastinator’s true commitment to the cause.

One of my favorites last year was from my friend Kristie who sent out her family’s Christmas photo for 2011 and also their Christmas photo for 2010, which she hadn’t found time to send out previously. Viewing the changes in her cuties in the two cards was like the time-lapse photography depicting glaciers and global warming, only much less depressing. 

So snap a pic of your kiddo or your dog or you, smiling by the fire. Send it to friends old and new. It’s a tradition the sentimental among us love. If you’re really technologically inclined, send a “jib jab” card. These are funny, interactive cards that allow you to insert the faces of you and yours onto the dancing bodies on the “jib jab” card. There are lots of different styles available, and they’re pretty funny. Fast, funny, almost free (I think membership is around $1 a month.) If that’s not a guru girl good thing, I don’t know what is!  Happy holidays, guru girls & guys!(Click this link to go to the jib jab card website for more information.)

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment