Monday, October 14, 2013

2 Organizing Tips For The Ages


I have recently learned 2 hard truths about organizing. Okay, make that 3.

#1 – I myself am not that organized, despite obsessively reading any and all magazine articles about the topic.

#2 – Cute baskets and gizmos from the Container Store are not the key to organizing success. In fact, it is likely they will impair organizing success because in buying these items you are just adding to the clutter.

Want to be organized? Throw your stuff away, say organizational experts. Or donate it. Everything but the items you use and wear all the time.

What you must not do is keep all your stuff and go on a shopping spree for cute baskets. Or else you will end up like me the next time you move – drowning in a sea of stuff and cute containers!

The secret to organization is elbow grease, not wicker.

#3 -- Closet organization is easily achieved if you hang your clothes by outfit. Don’t organize it by color or type of clothing, i.e. shirts, jeans etc.

Instead hang entire outfits together. So you drape your zebra stripe cardigan over the white tank you always wear it with and hang your black pants and zebra belt just behind it. Do this for all of your favorite outfits and you’ll drastically reduce your “I have nothing to wear” days.

I just read about this tip and plan to implement it immediately! As soon as I make my way out of this pile of storage. Happy organizing, guru girls & guys! I promise more "gotta buy it", "gotta read it" tips are on the way. Just have to find my magazine stash!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment