Wednesday, September 3, 2014

1 Great Poster & Attitude: Comin' Up


I don’t want to brag, but last night I figured out the LCM. (Or was it LCD?) No matter. There it was on the math worksheet in front of me.

The worksheet wanted to know the LCM.

The confused 6th grader wanted to know the LCM.

I wanted to know the LCM.
But the scribbled example made no sense. 
And we’ve established I can barely remember what I learned last week, much less what I learned 30 years ago.

And there was my cell phone. Just begging to skype Guru Guy for a quick LCM tutorial.

But we didn’t do it. Instead, I sat down and, with the 6th grader, puzzled it out.

I hate puzzling it out.

Because the costs are high, in terms of time spent and likelihood of failure. 

But when you puzzle it out successfully? What a high.

I don’t puzzle new things out very often. I have an elaborate defense mechanism in place. My internal monologue is quick to protest, “I’m far too busy/productive/old to do _____(insert whatever task I’m afraid of here).

Because that’s what it really is: fear. Fear of failure or subpar performance. Or embarrassment.

Fear protects us from those feelings of vulnerability, but it also keeps us from experiencing those feelings of accomplishment when we’re successful at something that’s hard, something we’d rather just delegate to someone else.

I’m not saying the next time I get a flat tire I’m gonna be the one out there changing it. I know my limitations, and someone’s gotta keep those AAA guys employed.

But maybe my limitations aren’t as great as I sometimes think. Maybe I should give it a try before I write something off completely.

I went paddleboarding for the first time this summer.

Shockingly, non-sporty me didn’t fall off the board once. And I had a blast.
Who knew?


I’ve overdone it on the motivational sayings here at home, but if not, I’d totally get this poster. As a reminder to just say yes. And also, a reminder to learn some Latin. 

No comments:

Post a Comment